Monday, March 30, 2009

My B'More Backyard Project

Here it goes my first ever Blog Post. I never really had anything to Blog about until I started the garden project in my backyard. Oh what a project it has been!

I moved to my nice Newsed house in the suburban town of Lauraville, Baltimore City, in August 2007 with my wife and we have decided that the backyard is going to be our source of fresh produce and a sanctuary outside of the house. Currently we are building the raised beds that will hold most of our staple produce, such as, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Squash, Misc Herbs, and it seems the list keeps growing. Thank goodness you only have to build the beds once. We have also built a Salad table for all the leafy greens that we will consume and most likely share with the neighbors.

Last year while cutting the grass I noticed a peculiar vine growing along the back fence. I asked my father-in-law to try to identify the vine, the only thing we could come up with was that it was some type of Grape, since the fence was a low lying metal fence and the type I have seen typically used for growing grapes. Well as the summer season progressed I noticed they were growing up all the weed trees I had in the back and they had little cone shaped flowers growing from them. I picked one and tried to identify it online, while, drinking a beer that had the same little nugget on it's label! Hops! I became very excited about the find and pretty much told all my friends and co-workers, I have always been interested in home brewing and have friends that have been doing it for years. I contacted this friend and asked him how he would feel about brewing a batch of Beer with the hops found in my yard. He said cool, he had never made a Fresh Hop brew. He came over and we had a good time just picking the hops off the vines and laying them on the front door screen to dry for a day, the next day it was on and he and I brewed some of the best tasting Harvest ale I have ever had, mostly he. Thanks B!

So now the madness has begun and my Wife has really been a good sport with the all the talks of hops in the backyard, and now it is full on backyard gardening.

If you are interested in learning more about Lauraville and a few of the local businesses locally where Gretchen and I live in please feel free to check out the links I have posted to the right!

Please stop by frequently I will be posting more links and more pictures of the progress.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new blog -- I found you through Harford Road Hon. The area along Harford Road was once all truck farms for Baltimore City, and it's pretty cool that there are now so many of us "backyard farmers" carrying on the tradition!

    I look forward to reading more about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new blog! (I found you through Harford Road Hon.)

    Lauraville and north up Harford Road were originally truck farms supplying Baltimore City with fresh veggies. So it's pretty cool that there are so many of us "backyard farmers" now carrying on the tradition. I look forward to reading your adventures!

    ReplyDelete

 
click to visit site
seo company guide